Tuesday, October 8, 2013

ES trades for 10/8/13

Started off on the wrong foot today. In my determination not to repeat yesterday's chart-watching session, I got into the first "good" trade setup I saw. It failed. I could have mitigated the loss, but the emotional roller coaster clouded my judgement. Didn't like starting the day with a loss like this. Spent the rest of the day (basically the entire day), yup...you guessed, chart-watching. Sigh.

Trade #1 - I can't see the forest for the trees! Prices were touching the upward sloping trend line, when a 2nd entry long setup appeared. As mentioned, in my eagerness to jump in, I'd failed to notice several details.
  1. Prices were already at the double top resistance area. I must have been blind to have missed this!
  2. At the prior high, prices did not reached the top of the trend line. It had stalled in the middle of no man's land to form the double top.
  3. The signal bar was bearish. I might have escaped with a scalp had I entered via a limit, instead of a stop order.
Anyway, I still could have bailed out for 0.50 pt gain, when prices made another attempt higher. Greed & hope finally did me in. I was hoping that this next attempt would break through. Plus, I didn't want to settle just for half a point. Stupid move, as it costed me -1.75 pt in the end.
  • buy 1 @1669.50 at 9:31
  • sell 1 @1667.75 at 9:36

E-mini S&P 500 Futures chart for Tuesday 10/8/13
ES chart 10/8/13

No comments:

Post a Comment