Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hong Kong MTR vs New York City MTA

Every time I go to Hong Kong, I'm always impressed with the operation of its entire public transportation network (subways, trains, buses, trams and ferries). However, I'm mainly referring to the Hong Kong MTR and New York City MTA subways here, as I take them the most often whenever I'm in either places. Comparing the HK subway to NYC one is like comparing night and day. The former is clean, efficient and safe, while the latter is dirty, have constant delays and can be scary (even dangerous) to take in some locations. All MTR stations have air conditioning, while the vast majority (I'm guessing 95%) of MTA ones don't. In the summer, waiting for a train in a station is like waiting inside an oven. Also, MTR riders get mobile phone reception (either via their carrier or WiFi) inside subways and stations. MTA riders don't.

On top of these disgraces, the MTA seems to be always running a deficit, even though it raises fares every few years. You would expect that with the increase in fares come the increase in service quality. Not so. They keep slashing services, plus closing down station attendant booths. The proverb "you get what you pay for" definitely doesn't apply to the MTA subway system. We get very little for paying a lot.

Now lets compare the MTR Octopus Card to the MTA Metrocard. The former can be used to pay for subway, train, tram, bus, minibus and ferry fares, while the latter only train and bus. Well, tram too, if you count the one (1) Roosevelt Island Tramway. The Octopus Card can also be used to pay for goods at convenience stores, supermarkets, fast-food restaurants, parking, gas stations and vending machines. The Metrocard can't. But more importantly, the Octopus Card is sturdy and contactless, while the Metrocard is flimsy and paper-thin and needs to be swiped to pay the fare. I can't tell you how many times I've missed a train because I was delayed going through the turnstile by someone in front of me. The poor bastard was trying to swipe the card through for the umpteen time without success. Usually the culprit was a tourist or retiree. Then again, sometimes the card just doesn't work (it's flimsy, after all).

Every time I come back to NYC, it takes me awhile to readjust myself to taking the subway here. Typically, it takes me about a week to get used to the rats, urine stench, garbage and delays again. I love taking the MTR and I hate taking the MTA. Simple as that.

Inside of a clean Hong Kong subway car
HK subway car

Spotless Hong Kong subway platform
HK subway platform

Inside of a vandalized New York City subway car
NYC subway car

Filthy New York City subway platform
NYC subway platform

1 comment:

  1. Agreed MTA sucks like shit. Fuck you jay walder for raising our fares and then skip town to MTR.

    ReplyDelete